Sunday, 15 June 2014

Prayers Concerning Death

After writing an article on Purgatory, I thought I would share with you some very helpful prayers concerning death. There are so many prayers I want to share with you all, so I will be posting more prayers in the near future.

Please enjoy these great prayers!


A Prayer For Daily Neglects
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Sacred Heart of Jesus, with all its love, all its sufferings and all its merits.
First -- To expiate all the sins I have committed this day and during all my life.
(Glory be to the Father and to the Son and the Holy Ghost as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.)
Second -- To purify the good I have done badly this day and during all my life.
(Glory Be to the Father...)
Third -- To minister for the good I ought to have done, and that I have neglected this day and during all my life.
(Glory Be to the Father...)
A poor Clare nun who had just died, appeared to her Abbess, who was praying for her, and said to her, "I went straight to Heaven, for, by means of this prayer, recited every evening, I paid all my debts."

The Three Hail Marys

Our Lady requested the daily recitation of the three Hail Marys, and she revealed the following to Saint Melchtilde:

"The first Hail Mary will be in honour of God the Father, whose omnipotence raised my soul so high above every other creature that, after God, I have the greatest power in heaven and on earth. In the hour of your death I will use that power of God the Father to keel any hostile power far from you.

"The second Hail Mary will be in honour of God the Son, who communicated His inscrutable wisdom to me... In the hour of your death I will fill your soul with the light of that wisdom so that all darkness of ignorance and error will be dispelled.

"The third Hail Mary will be in honour of God the Holy Ghost, who filled my soul with the sweetness of His love and tenderness and mercy... In your last hour I will then change the bitterness of death into divine sweetness and delight."

Promise: During an apparition to St. Gertrude, the Blessed Mother promised, "To any soul who faithfully prays the Three Hail Marys I will appear at the hour of death in a splendour of beauty so extraordinary that it will fill the soul with heavenly consolation."

The Brown Scapular


The brown scapular's promise made by Our Lady, "This shall be to you and all Carmelites a privilege, that anyone who dies clothes in this shall not suffer eternal fire; and if wearing it they die, they shall be saved."

The Seven Dolors of Mary

Those devoted to Our Lady's Dolors are granted four promises. The first two promises are related to death. They are, (1) that those who before death invoke the Blessed Mother in the name of her sorrows, should obtain true repentance of all their sins and (2) that He would protect in their tribulations all who remember this devotion, and that He would protect them especially at the hour of death. 

Also, those who pray seven Hail Marys each day in honour of Our Lady's seven dolors are granted seven promises, the last two being, (1) "I will visibly help them at the moment of their death - they will see the face of their mother." and (2) " I have obtained this grace from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors will be taken from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy."

You can read more about this devotion here: fromthedepthsofthecatacombs.blogspot.ca/p/our-lady-of-sorrows.html


The Chaplet of the Holy Wounds

There are some promises concerning death as well connected to the Chaplet of the Holy Wounds:

2. "Each time that you offer to My Father the merits of My divine Wounds, you win an immense fortune."
3."Souls that will have contemplated and honored My crown of thorns on earth, will be My crown of glory in Heaven!"
12. "There will be no death for the soul that expires in My Holy Wounds; they give true life."
16. The soul who during life has honoured the Wounds of Our Lord Jesus Christ and has offered them to the Eternal Father for the Souls in Purgatory , will be accompanied at the moment of death by the Holy virgin and the angels; and Our Lord on the Cross, all brilliant in glory, will receive her and crown her.
You can read more about this devotion here:

May God bless you all and grant you the grace of not only a holy death, but the grace to be purified and perfected here on earth.